Spend an evening listening to Blige’s slow-burn 1994 opus My Life followed by this smooth sequel, My Life II…The Journey Continues (Act 1), and the only thing you’ll have to break your groove for is a bubble bath. Blige can still rip your heart out with a note (see the hurts-so-good ”Why”). But the lovelorn lyrics get same-y, and ”modern” touches (like snoozy duets with Drake and Beyoncé) show a Blige who doesn’t care much about the here and now — or maybe she’s just saving that for Act 2. B-
NOBLESSE O' BLIGE Dud duets and repetitive lyrics drag down Blige's rafter-reaching, heart shaking belt-ability
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Mary J. Blige; Music Label: Geffen
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!