Spend an evening listening to Blige’s slow-burn 1994 opus My Life followed by this smooth sequel, My Life II…The Journey Continues (Act 1), and the only thing you’ll have to break your groove for is a bubble bath. Blige can still rip your heart out with a note (see the hurts-so-good ”Why”). But the lovelorn lyrics get same-y, and ”modern” touches (like snoozy duets with Drake and Beyoncé) show a Blige who doesn’t care much about the here and now — or maybe she’s just saving that for Act 2. B-
NOBLESSE O' BLIGE Dud duets and repetitive lyrics drag down Blige's rafter-reaching, heart shaking belt-ability
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Mary J. Blige; Music Label: Geffen
Posted November 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kevin Hart and Conan O'Brien trade insults in hostile workout session
- Bruce Springsteen signs absence note for fifth grader
- The Weeknd shares energetic new track, 'False Alarm'
- Does Woody Allen’s 'Crisis in Six Scenes' live up to expectations?
- 'Superstore': Lauren Ash talks 'Dog Whisperer'
- 'Westworld' showrunners on AI's threat and promise: 'This is imminent'
- President Obama tries the splits with the Final Five