Spend an evening listening to Blige’s slow-burn 1994 opus My Life followed by this smooth sequel, My Life II…The Journey Continues (Act 1), and the only thing you’ll have to break your groove for is a bubble bath. Blige can still rip your heart out with a note (see the hurts-so-good ”Why”). But the lovelorn lyrics get same-y, and ”modern” touches (like snoozy duets with Drake and Beyoncé) show a Blige who doesn’t care much about the here and now — or maybe she’s just saving that for Act 2. B-
NOBLESSE O' BLIGE Dud duets and repetitive lyrics drag down Blige's rafter-reaching, heart shaking belt-ability
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Mary J. Blige; Music Label: Geffen
Posted November 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!