The Mothman Prophecies wasn’t a huge box office hit — possibly because it sounds like a Syfy flick in which Tiffany battles an enormous mutant butterfly. But the supernatural thriller from 2002 is a rather respectable beast. Available on Netflix instant viewing, it stars Richard Gere and Laura Linney as a journalist and a cop investigating a weird spectral vision that appears before disasters strike. It’s a slow burn for sure. But patient viewers will be richly rewarded. We foresee it. B+
PSYCHIC VISIONS Laura Linney and Richard Gere in The Mothman Prophecies (Everett Collection)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Richard Gere, Laura Linney, Alan Bates, Debra Messing, Will Patton; Director: Mark Pellington; Author: Richard Hatem; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2002; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted November 28 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Madonna fires back at BET after Twitter diss: 'I will shade you'
- Here's how Mindy Kaling pranked B.J. Novak on 'The Office'
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros host vow renewal at N.C. show
- Hugh Jackman congratulates class of 2016 with graduation throwback pic
- 'Kung Fury' director teases a sequel
- Stan Lee weighs in on the 'Captain America' Hydra twist
- Watch Lady Gaga ride with Mario Andretti at the Indianapolis 500
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers