Harrison Ford in in talks to play Branch Rickey, the Hall of Fame baseball executive who integrated the sport by promoting Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Robert Redford had been long interested in the role – and reportedly attached as recently as last April – but EW can confirm a Deadline report that Ford is now the top choice to star in 42 (referencing Robinson’s uniform number). The Brian Helgeland-scripted story focuses on how Rickey bypassed more talented black superstars and selected the dashing 27-year-old Robinson in part because his maturity and superior character prepared him for the racial taunts and abuse that were sure to come his way on and off the diamond.
Posted December 8 2011 — 9:04 PM EST
- Shaq channels 'Flashdance' in 'Lip Sync Battle' clip
- 'Game of Theories': Is anyone ready for the wars to come?
- Jerry Seinfeld's new season of 'Comedians in Cars' is en route
- Gwen Stefani releases gorgeous 'Misery' video
- Norman Reedus got Peter Fonda a Daryl Dixon crossbow
- RATM form supergroup with Public Enemy and Cypress Hill
- Noah Hawley: 'Fargo' season 3 centers on sibling rivalry
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos