It was another strange week for troubled country singer Mindy McCready. The latest in a long line of tribulations for the 36-year-old — which have included problems with drugs and alcohol (landing her on Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew), jail time, and a leaked sex tape — began on Nov. 30, when her 5-year-old son, Zander, was reported missing from Florida, where he lives with McCready’s mother. Who snatched him? McCready herself, who does not have legal custody of the child but claimed he had been the victim of abuse, an allegation her mother, Gayle Inge, fervently denied. In a statement McCready gave to the Associated Press later that evening, the defiant singer said, ”I’m a mom first. I’m going to protect my kid. If I have to go to jail, so be it.” McCready added that she could not return Zander to Florida because she is seven months pregnant with twins. Arkansas authorities finally found McCready and her son hiding in a closet on Dec. 2. Although the singer was not arrested and will not face criminal charges in Arkansas, she did appear in court on Dec. 5 to discuss Zander’s custody (the proceedings were sealed), and it was unclear whether Florida officials would prosecute her on any criminal charges.
Posted December 9 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- Mike Huckabee posts support for Duggars
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!