It was another strange week for troubled country singer Mindy McCready. The latest in a long line of tribulations for the 36-year-old — which have included problems with drugs and alcohol (landing her on Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew), jail time, and a leaked sex tape — began on Nov. 30, when her 5-year-old son, Zander, was reported missing from Florida, where he lives with McCready’s mother. Who snatched him? McCready herself, who does not have legal custody of the child but claimed he had been the victim of abuse, an allegation her mother, Gayle Inge, fervently denied. In a statement McCready gave to the Associated Press later that evening, the defiant singer said, ”I’m a mom first. I’m going to protect my kid. If I have to go to jail, so be it.” McCready added that she could not return Zander to Florida because she is seven months pregnant with twins. Arkansas authorities finally found McCready and her son hiding in a closet on Dec. 2. Although the singer was not arrested and will not face criminal charges in Arkansas, she did appear in court on Dec. 5 to discuss Zander’s custody (the proceedings were sealed), and it was unclear whether Florida officials would prosecute her on any criminal charges.
Posted December 9 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!