It was another strange week for troubled country singer Mindy McCready. The latest in a long line of tribulations for the 36-year-old — which have included problems with drugs and alcohol (landing her on Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew), jail time, and a leaked sex tape — began on Nov. 30, when her 5-year-old son, Zander, was reported missing from Florida, where he lives with McCready’s mother. Who snatched him? McCready herself, who does not have legal custody of the child but claimed he had been the victim of abuse, an allegation her mother, Gayle Inge, fervently denied. In a statement McCready gave to the Associated Press later that evening, the defiant singer said, ”I’m a mom first. I’m going to protect my kid. If I have to go to jail, so be it.” McCready added that she could not return Zander to Florida because she is seven months pregnant with twins. Arkansas authorities finally found McCready and her son hiding in a closet on Dec. 2. Although the singer was not arrested and will not face criminal charges in Arkansas, she did appear in court on Dec. 5 to discuss Zander’s custody (the proceedings were sealed), and it was unclear whether Florida officials would prosecute her on any criminal charges.
Posted December 9 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- How Ann Coulter hijacked the Rob Lowe roast
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good