(Charles Norfleet/PR Photos; Fox)
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:29 PM EST
Steve Carell said goodbye to The Office earlier this year, but he’ll be back in prime time next year to lend his voice to an episode of The Simpsons, EW has learned exclusively. Carell will play Dan Gillick, a tightly wound accountant for Fat Tony (returning guest Joe Mantegna), who may go from crunching numbers to crunching skulls when he’s put in charge of the mob by Fat Tony while the big boss serves jury duty.
“He’s nervous, and then Fat Tony says that he’s got to kill some people and then he’s really nervous because he actually wants to do it,” says exec producer Al Jean of Carell’s character. “The line between Ivy League MBA and ruthless murderer is a very thin one.” Dan winds up receiving counsel from Homer after Dan joins Homer’s bowling team as a replacement for Otto, who has suffered a psychotic break.The episode featuring Carell – who will start filming the big-screen comedy Burt Wonderstone with Jim Carrey in January – is slated to air next fall on Fox as part of the animated comedy’s 24th season.
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized: Report
- David Duchovny on 'Late Show': 'X-Files' revival plans return of Walter Skinner and Smoking Man
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!