Welcome to the fold, X Factor! In a list just released by Nielsen, Simon Cowell’s latest endeavor was the only newbie to rank among 2011’s top 10 shows in terms of product placement tie-ins. Then again, it’s no surprise since Cowell’s former stomping grounds American Idol ranked first, with an egregious 577 advertiser-friendly placements over the course of season 10 – and that’s even without Cowell.
Interestingly, Fox wasn’t the most product-laden network. That dubious honor went to NBC, where The Biggest Loser, The Celebrity Apprentice, America’s Got Talent, and even beloved drama Friday Night Lights (the only non-reality show on the list) all found a place in the top 10. Which other shows shamelessly pimped their advertisers’ merch this year? Read on…
1. American Idol, Fox (577)
2. The Biggest Loser, NBC (533)
3. The Celebrity Apprentice, NBC (391)
4. Dancing With the Stars, ABC (390)
5. The X Factor, Fox (312)
6. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, ABC (224)
7. America’s Got Talent, NBC (220)
8. Friday Night Lights, NBC (201)
9. America’s Next Top Model, The CW (178)
10. The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business, CBS (161)
What do you think, PopWatchers? Are you put off by product placement, or have you stopped noticing it altogether?