Katy Perry’s current top five single, ”The One That Got Away,” has turned out to be unexpectedly prophetic. On Dec. 30, actor-comedian Russell Brand, 36, filed for divorce from his bride of 14 months, citing irreconcilable differences. ”Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage,” Brand said in a statement released after the news broke. ”I’ll always adore her and I know we’ll remain friends.” The couple first got together at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, and wed in an elaborate private ceremony in India in October 2010. Though Perry, 27, told Barbara Walters only a month before the pair pulled the plug that she intended to have children with Brand, rumors of a marital rift intensified when they were photographed thousands of miles apart over the holidays (Brand was in London and Perry in Hawaii), both without their wedding rings. In a 2010 magazine profile, Brand said that he and Perry had not signed a prenuptial agreement — meaning that he could be entitled to half of the singer’s earnings during their marriage under California’s community property laws (Forbes estimated Perry’s 2011 income at $44 million).
Posted January 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Arrow': New clues to Prometheus' identity revealed
- WATCH: Chinese 'Rogue One' trailer features 'spies, saboteurs, and assassins'
- 'Madiba' first look: See Laurence Fishburne as Nelson Mandela
- John Cena vows to crush 'SNL' cast (except one member)
- Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone got ceremonial imprints at Chinese Theatre
- Tom Hardy is getting a Leonardo DiCaprio-designed tattoo after losing a bet
- Ricki Lake shares adorable throwback 'Hairspray' photo with Divine
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot