Nine years after Bruce Almighty, Universal is plotting a second coming. (Or technically a third.) EW has confirmed a Variety report that the studio has plans to reunite Jim Carrey with the Yes Man writers (Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel) for a new chapter in the life of the newscaster who is handed God’s powers and responsibilities after complaining about the big man’s negligence. The 2003 film, which co-starred Morgan Freeman as God, Jennifer Aniston as Bruce’s girlfriend, and Steve Carell as his hated rival, grossed more than $484 million worldwide, making it Carrey’s biggest hit. This wouldn’t be the first Bruce sequel; Evan Almighty attempted to hand the reins over to Carell’s character, but that expensive, effects-heavy 2007 film underperformed and barely grossed $100 million.
Posted January 10 2012 — 9:37 PM EST
- Janis Ian: 'I have a personal stake' in Bill Cosby
- 'Sicario': Emily Blunt faces the cartels in exclusive new poster
- Metallica gets the comic book treatment
- Prepare to be enchanted by this Hayao Miyazaki tribute video
- David Faustino teases 'Married... with Children' spin-off
- Jon Stewart reveals what he's been scribbling all these years
- Man Booker prize 2015 longlist announced
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!