Nine years after Bruce Almighty, Universal is plotting a second coming. (Or technically a third.) EW has confirmed a Variety report that the studio has plans to reunite Jim Carrey with the Yes Man writers (Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel) for a new chapter in the life of the newscaster who is handed God’s powers and responsibilities after complaining about the big man’s negligence. The 2003 film, which co-starred Morgan Freeman as God, Jennifer Aniston as Bruce’s girlfriend, and Steve Carell as his hated rival, grossed more than $484 million worldwide, making it Carrey’s biggest hit. This wouldn’t be the first Bruce sequel; Evan Almighty attempted to hand the reins over to Carell’s character, but that expensive, effects-heavy 2007 film underperformed and barely grossed $100 million.
Posted January 10 2012 — 9:37 PM EST
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Bear Left Then Bear Write'
- Johnny Cash and Miranda Lambert get stars on the Music City Walk of Fame
- Casting Net: Jennifer Aniston, Jack Huston fly with 'The Yellow Birds'
- Hannibal Buress shares unaired 'Unemployable' pilot
- 'The Flash' boss on heartbreaking premiere twist
- See Jay Leno 'tag in' for Jimmy Fallon during 'Tonight Show' monologue
- Charlotte Hornets guard Jeremy Lin to guest on 'Fresh Off the Boat'