Insults, accusations, lurid sex slang. Now this is how you promote a sitcom! CBS’ press tour panel for 2 Broke Girls turned into a riveting verbal brawl last week after critics accused the hit comedy’s showrunner, Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City), of indulging in racial stereotypes. ”The big story about race on our show is that so many are represented,” King countered. But that wasn’t enough for critics, who chided the exec producer for what they called one-dimensional minority characters (”I’ll call you in five years, and you will have accrued enough time to see if these characters have become fully fleshed out,” King shot back). When the critics weren’t quizzing King on race, they were putting him on the defensive about Girls’ raunchy humor (”I consider our jokes really ‘classy dirty,”’ King replied). When he noted that he’s gay yet includes ”gay stereotypes” on his show, a peeved reporter responded: ”Does being a part of one traditionally disenfranchised group give you carte blanche to make fun of other traditionally disenfranchised groups?” News of the panel fight quickly spread on Twitter: ”Anyone got a bootleg DVD of that 2 Broke Girls panel?” tweeted The Shield creator Shawn Ryan. ”Hell, I’ll take a shaky cell-phone video….”
Posted January 20 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!