This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'