This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!