This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 01/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Mother’s Day' trailer is the mother lode of Garry Marshall concoctions
- See the first trailer for Bravo's 'The Real Housewives of Dallas'
- Ewan McGregor becomes a spy in 'Our Kind of Traitor' trailer
- 'Walking Dead' creator Robert Kirkman says the Morgan-Carol conflict 'is only beginning'
- New 'Star Wars' LEGO series heading to Disney XD
- How many of the bestselling albums of the past 25 years do you own?
- Kevin Costner has Ryan Reynolds' memories in 'Criminal' trailer