This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!