This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 01/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Bob's Burgers' renewed for two more seasons
- Janis Joplin documentary gets November release date
- Strong return for 'The Flash;' female teens still dig 'Scream Queens'
- 'Blood & Oil' casts Hap's ex-wife — exclusive
- Julianne Moore praises the real-life people who inspired 'Freeheld'
- Hey, Tom Hanks: Lauren from Fordham University has been found
- 'Aladdin' honest trailer reminds us why it's really Genie's movie