This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Watch Coach freak out during sex ed in 'New Girl' clip
- Average movie ticket price drops to $8.12 in first quarter
- On the Books: Drax the Destroyer of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' gets his own comic book
- Watch the new music video for Jamie xx's 'Gosh'
- 'Unauthorized Full House' a go at Lifetime
- Watch the first trailer for 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'
- Brian Williams might have misremembered a few more incidents