This film has a grander trajectory than just about any other fashion doc. Halston, looking like a sunglassed cross between Henry Fonda and Richard E. Grant, leads a couture revolution when his sleek, draped designs take American women into a new era. The film’s darkly bedazzled view of the ’70s is spurred by great dish from André Leon Talley, Liza Minnelli, and Nile Rodgers, who set the stage for Halston’s triumphs — and his jaw-dropping fall when, high on fame (among other things), he sells his name to JC Penney and his empire collapses. A-
FASHION LEGEND Photo of Halston from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston (Pierre Schermann)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 01/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 89
Posted January 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Willy Wonka' costars pay tribute to Gene Wilder
- Should Ryan Lochte be allowed to compete in 'Dancing With the Stars'?
- 'Arrow' unveils new villain Prometheus in season 5 photos
- 'Doctor Who' star Karen Gillan cast in 'Jumanji'
- 'The Flash' debuts first look at Flashpoint
- Tim McGraw crashes wedding and sings 'My Little Girl'
- Police investigating incident at Chris Brown's home