We fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer — has turned his Crichtonish gaze to the world of hedge funds in The Fear Index. Alex Hoffmann, an artificial-intelligence researcher-turned-hedge-fund billionaire, is attacked on the eve of a big investor meeting. Soon the algorithm driving his fund begins making outrageously risky bets. The mysteries begin to pile up — and to implicate Alex himself. Harris’ brisk, movie-ready yarn may make you reconsider your mattress as a retirement-fund option. B+
The Fear IndexWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost WriterThe Fear IndexFictionRobert HarrisWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer2012-01-27Knopf
'FEAR' FACTOR Harris' latest thriller dives deep into the world of hedge funds
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robert Harris; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- 'Doctor Who' star Peter Capaldi to appear at Comic-Con
- Elizabeth Gillies: From child star to 'Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll'
- Grumpy Cat is getting a comic book series
- 'Orange is the New Black' star to join Broadway's 'The Color Purple'
- Exclusive: Cooper and Josh duke it out ahead of ‘Young & Hungry' spring finale
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!