We fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer — has turned his Crichtonish gaze to the world of hedge funds in The Fear Index. Alex Hoffmann, an artificial-intelligence researcher-turned-hedge-fund billionaire, is attacked on the eve of a big investor meeting. Soon the algorithm driving his fund begins making outrageously risky bets. The mysteries begin to pile up — and to implicate Alex himself. Harris’ brisk, movie-ready yarn may make you reconsider your mattress as a retirement-fund option. B+
The Fear IndexWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost WriterThe Fear IndexFictionRobert HarrisWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer2012-01-27Knopf
'FEAR' FACTOR Harris' latest thriller dives deep into the world of hedge funds
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robert Harris; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Orlando Jones departs 'Sleepy Hollow': What's next for the show?
- Geekly Mailbag: Let's talk about Black Widow
- Sofia Vergara speaks about her embryo lawsuit with ex Nick Loeb
- 'New Girl': Are Nick and Jess still hooking up?
- 'You're the Worst' casts former 'Office' actor for season 2
- 'Suicide Squad': Who's who in the new cast photo
- EW's 2015 Baby Power List: Princess Charlotte debuts at...?
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!