We fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer — has turned his Crichtonish gaze to the world of hedge funds in The Fear Index. Alex Hoffmann, an artificial-intelligence researcher-turned-hedge-fund billionaire, is attacked on the eve of a big investor meeting. Soon the algorithm driving his fund begins making outrageously risky bets. The mysteries begin to pile up — and to implicate Alex himself. Harris’ brisk, movie-ready yarn may make you reconsider your mattress as a retirement-fund option. B+
The Fear IndexWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost WriterThe Fear IndexFictionRobert HarrisWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer2012-01-27Knopf
'FEAR' FACTOR Harris' latest thriller dives deep into the world of hedge funds
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robert Harris; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The View' gets new theme song: Mary J. Blige's 'World's Gone Crazy'
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan had no idea about cliffhanger
- Nick Offerman previews 'Good Clean Fun' and announces tour
- Diana Gordon makes powerful TV debut on 'Colbert'
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead recalls Michael Moore sex scene on 'BrainDead'
- 'Rings' trailer brings Samara back for more scares
- Stephen Colbert helps Rami Malek make his first Instagram post
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...