We fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer — has turned his Crichtonish gaze to the world of hedge funds in The Fear Index. Alex Hoffmann, an artificial-intelligence researcher-turned-hedge-fund billionaire, is attacked on the eve of a big investor meeting. Soon the algorithm driving his fund begins making outrageously risky bets. The mysteries begin to pile up — and to implicate Alex himself. Harris’ brisk, movie-ready yarn may make you reconsider your mattress as a retirement-fund option. B+
The Fear IndexWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost WriterThe Fear IndexFictionRobert HarrisWe fear what we do not understand. No wonder, then, that Robert Harris — whose last novel became the Roman Polanski thriller The Ghost Writer2012-01-27Knopf
'FEAR' FACTOR Harris' latest thriller dives deep into the world of hedge funds
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robert Harris; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!