For a film with such a straightforward title, Man on a Ledge turns out to be remarkably convoluted. Poised precipitously atop a high-concept premise, Sam Worthington is an escaped convict attempting to prove his innocence in the most elaborate way possible: He climbs out onto a hotel ledge and creates a suicide spectacle/diversion that allows his brother (Jamie Bell) to steal a diamond from an iniquitous real estate baron played with a perpetual scowl by Ed Harris. It’s all ostensibly part of a master plan, as is his requesting Elizabeth Banks’ beleaguered negotiator, but it feels as if the filmmakers have tried to stuff the plots of too many different movies into a single casing that’s already overflowing with eye-rolling improbabilities. Despite the occasional dumb fun — especially with the heist portions — the leap of logic required to make it all work is enough to leave your brain pancaked on the sidewalk. C
MAN ON A LEDGE Sam Worthington and Elizabeth Banks (Myles Aronowitz)
Genre: Thriller; Starring: Elizabeth Banks, Jamie Bell, Sam Worthington; Director: Asger Leth; Release Date Wide: 01/27/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted February 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kendrick Lamar releases trippy 'For Free? (Interlude)' video
- Mick Rock on his new show: I'm the Anthony Bourdain of rock and roll
- Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo talk about their sweet cameos in the new 'Vacation'
- 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' is not a 'watered-down version' of the films
- Country singer Lynn Anderson dead at 67
- Lucy Lawless maintains no 'Xena' deal, but she'd like one
- 'The Cosby Show' producer says series is 'kind of tarnished'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!