Piet Barol, the young protagonist of Richard Mason’s thoroughly engaging fourth novel, possesses such intense social ambition that even Edith Wharton would be impressed. It’s turn-of-the-century Amsterdam, and the charming Piet is hired as a tutor for the troubled son of a grand old family residing in an even grander house. Before long, members of the household fall prey to Piet’s seductions. Mason’s prose is lovely and rich, but the plot of History of a Pleasure Seeker — which goes to New York City during the financial crisis of 1907 as well as Cape Town, South Africa — loses a bit of oomph in the final chapters. B+
History of a Pleasure SeekerPiet Barol, the young protagonist of Richard Mason's thoroughly engaging fourth novel, possesses such intense social ambition that even Edith Wharton...History of a Pleasure SeekerFictionRichard MasonPiet Barol, the young protagonist of Richard Mason's thoroughly engaging fourth novel, possesses such intense social ambition that even Edith Wharton...2012-02-10Knopf
PLEASURE POINT Protagonist Piet Barol's social ambition fuels the plot in Mason's fourth novel
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Mason; Publisher: Knopf
Posted February 10 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday