Piet Barol, the young protagonist of Richard Mason’s thoroughly engaging fourth novel, possesses such intense social ambition that even Edith Wharton would be impressed. It’s turn-of-the-century Amsterdam, and the charming Piet is hired as a tutor for the troubled son of a grand old family residing in an even grander house. Before long, members of the household fall prey to Piet’s seductions. Mason’s prose is lovely and rich, but the plot of History of a Pleasure Seeker — which goes to New York City during the financial crisis of 1907 as well as Cape Town, South Africa — loses a bit of oomph in the final chapters. B+
History of a Pleasure SeekerPiet Barol, the young protagonist of Richard Mason's thoroughly engaging fourth novel, possesses such intense social ambition that even Edith Wharton...History of a Pleasure SeekerFictionRichard MasonPiet Barol, the young protagonist of Richard Mason's thoroughly engaging fourth novel, possesses such intense social ambition that even Edith Wharton...2012-02-10Knopf
PLEASURE POINT Protagonist Piet Barol's social ambition fuels the plot in Mason's fourth novel
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Mason; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst on Rodney's big birthday drama
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!