If there hasn’t been a Friday over the last year in which, at some point, you didn’t sing “Gettin’ down on Friday” or “We, we, we so excited” to yourself, then celebrating today’s musical milestone should feel bittersweet.
To be fair, Rebecca Black’s “Friday” didn’t actually take over our lives – and thus forever alter our knowledge of how the week works (“Yesterday it is Thursday, today it is Friday”) and major decisions like where to sit in our friends’ cars – until March 2011. But the video was actually released one year ago today, Feb. 10, 2011, courtesy of ARK Music Factory. That’s right, it took the Internet almost an entire month to stumble upon this gem.
Here’s some fun, fun, fun, fun facts about Rebecca Black’s “Friday” over the past year:
- It has over 107 million hits on YouTube
- The video was temporarily pulled offline, only to return a few weeks later
- Adults were dumbfounded by it. Case in point: It topped the list of the 50 Worst Music Videos of all time by U.K. mag NME
- Kids her own age were just horrified by it
- Those very same adults and kids apparently couldn’t get enough of her anyway, as “Friday” raked in major dough and the 14-year-old was one of the most Googled names of 2011
- The ridiculed/ironically beloved Internet sensation appeared on everything from America’s Got Talent to Good Morning America to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno to Nightline
- Katy Perry took Rebecca under her pop-princess wing, having her appear in the video for her own end-of-week anthem “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” and on stage at one of her shows.
- Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert somehow made it even funnier (albeit, intentionally)
- It’s been parodied in commercials and even got the Glee treatment
- Her follow-up singles “My Moment” and “Person of Interest” didn’t have quite the same impact as “Friday”
- You’re going to watch it again and hate yourself for knowing (and sort of loving) every terrible minute of it:
<embed src=”http://widgets.vodpod.com/w/video_embed/Video.15419123” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” AllowScriptAccess=”sameDomain” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” wmode=”transparent” flashvars=” width=”510” height=”350” />
Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’ is bringing in the dough
Rebecca Black tops ‘50 Worst Music Videos Ever’ – Who else made the list?
Rebecca Black, Justin Bieber, and Herman Cain top 2011 Google search lists