The Secret World of Arrietty, about a teeny-size 14-year-old girl who lives with her family beneath the floorboards of a big house and the human-size boy who befriends her, is adapted from British author Mary Norton’s wonderful children’s fantasy novels, The Borrowers. The lyrical animation, with its meditative attention to nature, bears the unique stamp of Japan’s Studio Ghibli, cofounded by the great Spirited Away animator Hayao Miyazaki. The result is a dreamy, soft-edged hybrid, equally interested in observing raindrops and the worries of a race of minuscule beings. B+
SMALL WONDER Bridgit Mender voices the title character in The Secret World of Arrietty (Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Will Arnett, Carol Burnett, Amy Poehler; Release Date Wide: 02/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted February 21 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'