The Secret World of Arrietty, about a teeny-size 14-year-old girl who lives with her family beneath the floorboards of a big house and the human-size boy who befriends her, is adapted from British author Mary Norton’s wonderful children’s fantasy novels, The Borrowers. The lyrical animation, with its meditative attention to nature, bears the unique stamp of Japan’s Studio Ghibli, cofounded by the great Spirited Away animator Hayao Miyazaki. The result is a dreamy, soft-edged hybrid, equally interested in observing raindrops and the worries of a race of minuscule beings. B+
SMALL WONDER Bridgit Mender voices the title character in The Secret World of Arrietty (Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Will Arnett, Carol Burnett, Amy Poehler; Release Date Wide: 02/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted February 21 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!