Thin Ice, a divertingly scuzzy little Midwest noir, is in the genre of Fargo and A Simple Plan, except that its banal Everyman hero — Greg Kinnear at his weaselly best — is a few notches further down on the scale of loserdom. He’s a Wisconsin insurance salesman who fancies himself a con artist and attempts to screw a retired old farmer (Alan Arkin) out of a beat-up violin that may be worth $25,000. Throw in a nagging divorce settlement, an unplanned murder, and Billy Crudup — hilarious! — as a raging security man, and Jill Sprecher’s film enjoyably fuses cleverness and sheer desperation. B+
'ICE' MEN Greg Kinnear and Billy Crudup in Thin Ice
Genre: Drama, Crime, Comedy; Starring: Billy Crudup, Greg Kinnear; Director: Jill Sprecher; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: ATO Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!