Thin Ice, a divertingly scuzzy little Midwest noir, is in the genre of Fargo and A Simple Plan, except that its banal Everyman hero — Greg Kinnear at his weaselly best — is a few notches further down on the scale of loserdom. He’s a Wisconsin insurance salesman who fancies himself a con artist and attempts to screw a retired old farmer (Alan Arkin) out of a beat-up violin that may be worth $25,000. Throw in a nagging divorce settlement, an unplanned murder, and Billy Crudup — hilarious! — as a raging security man, and Jill Sprecher’s film enjoyably fuses cleverness and sheer desperation. B+
'ICE' MEN Greg Kinnear and Billy Crudup in Thin Ice
Genre: Drama, Crime, Comedy; Starring: Billy Crudup, Greg Kinnear; Director: Jill Sprecher; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: ATO Pictures
Posted February 21 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts 'The Martian' promo
- 6 new things we know about Janet Jackson's 'Unbreakable'
- Tom Hardy demonstrates his lip sync skills with Dubsmash
- Jon Hamm in talks to star in sci-fi drama 'Marjorie Prime'
- Can you name these VMA nominees based on just one photo?
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- See Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer dance on Billy Joel's piano
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!