This overheated yet bizarrely opaque criminal character study from Belgium is set among the “hormone mafia” — i.e., Flemish cattle farmers who fatten their cows with illegal drugs. Jacky (Matthias Schoenaerts), the tormented central goon, is a steroid addict himself, but even when we learn why (in a flashback so grisly it’s nearly impossible to watch), we don’t feel any more connected to him or to the turgidly convoluted plot. A nominee for this year’s Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, Bullhead proves that you can make an underworld movie pumped up with pretension. C-
BULLHEAD Matthias Schoenaerts as "Jacky Vanmarsenille"
Genre: Drama; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R
Posted February 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters