This overheated yet bizarrely opaque criminal character study from Belgium is set among the “hormone mafia” — i.e., Flemish cattle farmers who fatten their cows with illegal drugs. Jacky (Matthias Schoenaerts), the tormented central goon, is a steroid addict himself, but even when we learn why (in a flashback so grisly it’s nearly impossible to watch), we don’t feel any more connected to him or to the turgidly convoluted plot. A nominee for this year’s Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, Bullhead proves that you can make an underworld movie pumped up with pretension. C-
BullheadThis overheated yet bizarrely opaque criminal character study from Belgium is set among the "hormone mafia" — i.e., Flemish cattle farmers who...BullheadDramaPT126MRThis overheated yet bizarrely opaque criminal character study from Belgium is set among the "hormone mafia" — i.e., Flemish cattle farmers who...2012-02-24
BULLHEAD Matthias Schoenaerts as "Jacky Vanmarsenille"
Genre: Drama; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R
Posted February 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Azealia Banks to make feature film debut in RZA's 'Coco'
- Taylor Swift saluted with 8-foot Lego portrait at U.K. resort
- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler action figures
- 'Point Break' remake gets its first trailer
- Kris Jenner to trademark 'momager'
- Listen to Juanes go EDM with Cédric Gervais in new song 'Este Amor'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!