Forget Gossip Girl: If you really want a peek into the scandalous lives of New York City’s elite upper class, Alger’s debut novel — set during the financial downturn of 2008 — gets you pretty close. The hedge funds, designer clothes, and lush Hamptons homes are all on display. But Alger also deftly juggles a complicated and myriad cast of characters who orbit around an It Family, the Darlings, who are at the center of a Madoff-like Ponzi scheme. The Darlings moves so fast that it feels more like a thriller than a social drama. B+
FINANCIAL FORAYS Alger's debut, set against the backdrop of New York City, provides a swift-moving drama centered on an upper-class family's financial woes
Genre: Fiction; Author: Cristina Alger; Status: In Season; Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Posted February 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters