Forget Gossip Girl: If you really want a peek into the scandalous lives of New York City’s elite upper class, Alger’s debut novel — set during the financial downturn of 2008 — gets you pretty close. The hedge funds, designer clothes, and lush Hamptons homes are all on display. But Alger also deftly juggles a complicated and myriad cast of characters who orbit around an It Family, the Darlings, who are at the center of a Madoff-like Ponzi scheme. The Darlings moves so fast that it feels more like a thriller than a social drama. B+
FINANCIAL FORAYS Alger's debut, set against the backdrop of New York City, provides a swift-moving drama centered on an upper-class family's financial woes
Genre: Fiction; Author: Cristina Alger; Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- John Wick 2 is happening
- New 'San Andreas' trailer cautions 'global event' coming
- Andrew Garfield in Martin Scorsese's 'Silence': EW exclusive First Look
- Was that Bob Dylan on 'Mad Men' last night?
- Mel Gibson talks 'Mad Max' for new Blu-ray release: EW exclusive sneak peek
- 'Tyrant' season 2 trailer: 'Blood guarantees nothing'
- The Chemical Brothers and Q-Tip share 'Go' video, directed by Michel Gondry
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!