Even if you have a sweet home-theater system with all of the latest surround-sound bells and high-def whistles, 3-D movies can feel like a bit of a bust in your living room. I won’t pretend that Martin Scorsese’s family-friendly fantasia Hugo (2011, PG, 2 hrs., 6 mins.) is different. It’s not. The best way to experience its eye-candy F/X is in a theater. But there are a few reasons why this spellbinding story about a young orphan’s quest to decipher a coded message from his late father in 1930s Paris is worth checking out on Blu-ray: the EXTRAS. Clocking in at a reasonable 57 minutes, the supplements are surprisingly in-depth — maybe because Scorsese talks so quickly that he covers twice the ground a normal human could. Sacha Baron Cohen, who plays a sadistic train-station inspector in the film, also weighs in, describing how he wanted his character to wear a prosthetic leg just so it could be severed and fly at the camera in 3-D. His suggestion was shot down, he says, because it “would freak kids out.” On a more serious note, there are fascinating featurettes about the creepy history of automatons, a blow-by-blow look at the miniatures used for Hugo’s cool derailing-locomotive sequence, and best of all, a deeper study of Georges Méliès, the pioneering French filmmaker at the heart of the movie (he’s played by Ben Kingsley). This is where Scorsese, the infectious rat-a-tat-tat extoller of cinema, is at his best. Watching clips from turn-of-the-century films like A Trip to the Moon and Kingdom of the Fairies through Scorsese’s eyes makes them seem more like Méliès magic tricks than movies. “If he had his hands on the equipment we have now,” says Scorsese, “he’d advance cinema another hundred years.” A-
MAGICAL WORLD Asa Butterfield in Hugo (Jaap Buitendijk)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Asa Butterfield, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Lee, Chloe Grace Moretz; Director: Martin Scorsese; Author: John Logan; Release Date Wide: 11/23/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 125; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted February 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- 'Kingsman 2': Jeff Bridges joins 'The Golden Circle'
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers