Having smoked weed with Keith Richards, earned blog love from Kanye, and set a Guinness World Record for longest freestyle rap, this Philly duo arrives with so much hipster cred, it probably had to be imported from Japan. Luckily, the hype’s deserved: From rapper Chidera ”Chiddy” Anamege’s witty-geek riffs on Ray Charles and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to DJ/producer Noah ”Xaphoon Jones” Beresin’s arsenal of what’s that amazing indie-rock song? samples (Icona Pop! Walk the Moon! Other bands you’ll want to Google!), they’ve made the most exciting debut of 2012 so far. Breakfast is such an original album, it’s coined a new term for swag: Call it swelly. A
SOULFUL SWAGGER Already making waves in the hipster world, the Philly duo's Breakfast serves up one heaping helping of hip-hop originality (Raymond Boyd/Getty Images)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Music Label: Virgin
Posted March 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Smash Mouth made an EDM song
- Seth Meyers to Bernie or Bust crowd: 'We don't have time for this'
- Man Booker Prize 2016 longlist revealed
- Michael Fassbender plays Frozen Blackjack with Jimmy Fallon
- Elizabeth Banks leads all-star a cappella 'Fight Song' for Hillary
- Bill Clinton’s DNC speech was a love letter to Hillary Clinton
- Alicia Keys dedicates DNC performance to 'Mothers of the Movement'
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years