Joseph Cedar’s outstanding Israeli drama, one of this year’s Foreign Language Oscar nominees, pores with gentle intensity over Old Testament-size conflicts between an elderly father and his grown son. Both are scholars in the arcane field of Talmudic studies. Both are rich with the human flaws of pride and envy. Exquisitely assembled, with a pointedly grand musical score to emphasize the titanic (and at times hilarious) nature of filial duty, Footnote is itself a perfect little piece of Talmud, full of text, commentary, and colorful argument. A
FAMILY FEUD Shlomo Bar Aba in Footnote (Ren Mendelson)
Genre: PG, Drama; Director: Joseph Cedar; Release Date Limited: 03/09/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 105; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!