Let’s say that you’ve already devoured Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy and are getting twitchy waiting for the movie to open on March 23. What to do? I’m glad you asked. I have just the thing: Battle Royale (2000, Not Rated, 2 hrs., 2 mins.). Over the past decade, Kinji Fukasaku’s ultraviolent Japanese film has amassed a small but rabid cult of fans who have traded bootleg copies on the gray market. But now Battle Royale is finally available on DVD and Blu-ray in an EXTRAS-packed four-disc set. The premise will sound immediately familiar to the Hunger Games horde: In the near future, when unemployment and juvenile delinquency are on the rise, the Japanese government passes an act stipulating that a group of teens chosen by lottery be shipped off to a remote island, outfitted with explosive collars, given weapons, and pitted against one another to fight until there’s one survivor. As the blood spills (and spews and sprays) and the body count rises, some of the teens show compassion, some confess their puppy-love crushes like they’re auditioning for an episode of 90210, and some realize that they really, really enjoy killing. It’s a sick blast. Battle Royale: The Complete Collection features two versions of the original film (you’ll want to watch the longer, uncensored Director’s Cut), the not-as-great 2003 sequel Battle Royale 2: Requiem, and a bunch of making-of features that should keep you busy until Katniss comes calling at the multiplex. In the meantime, let the Battle begin! A
BLOOD-SOAKED Kou Shibasaki in Battle Royale (Everett Collection)
Starring: Tatsuya Fujiwara, Aki Maeda; Starring: Chiaki Kuriyama; Director: Kinji Fukasaku
Posted March 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!