It’s 1984 and Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” has conquered the world in writer-director Taika Waititi’s loopy, charming coming-of-age story set in Maori New Zealand. Waititi (a former comedy mate of the Flight of the Conchords crew) also stars as a deluded, mostly harmless screwup dad, idolized by his scrappy young son (James Rolleston), who returns home after a short prison stint and wreaks gentle havoc. Boy could have been a twee mush of cuteness and bathos but it’s not, in large part because of the outstanding cast of unself-conscious Maori kids. B+
BoyIt's 1984 and Michael Jackson's "Thriller" has conquered the world in writer-director Taika Waititi's loopy, charming coming-of-age story set in Maori New...BoyDrama, ComedyPT90MIt's 1984 and Michael Jackson's "Thriller" has conquered the world in writer-director Taika Waititi's loopy, charming coming-of-age story set in Maori New...2012-03-09Paladin (II)
COMING-OF-AGE James Rolleston and Taika Waititi in Boy
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Runtime (in minutes): 90; Distributor: Paladin (II)
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!