For a man who had so much to hide, it’s amazing that Bill Clinton gave a team of documentary filmmakers access to the inner sanctum of his 1992 presidential campaign. Thank goodness for bad judgment; otherwise we wouldn’t have The War Room (1993, Not Rated, 1 hr., 36 mins.). As Cajun mad genius James Carville and twitchy, 5-o’clock-shadowed George Stephanopoulos crunch numbers and put out fires, you almost forget that you’re watching real life instead of a nail-biting Hollywood thriller. The Criterion disc’s EXTRAS, highlighted by a 2008 reunion of the Comeback Kid’s battle-scarred advisers, are a political junkie’s dream. A
GAME CHANGE George Stephanopoulos and James Carville in The War Room (Everett Collection)
Genre: Documentary; Director: D.A. Pennebaker, Chris Hegedus; Producer (person): R.J. Cutler; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: October Films
Posted March 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Jackman shares ‘Wolverine’ teaser image and asks for fan input
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!