For a man who had so much to hide, it’s amazing that Bill Clinton gave a team of documentary filmmakers access to the inner sanctum of his 1992 presidential campaign. Thank goodness for bad judgment; otherwise we wouldn’t have The War Room (1993, Not Rated, 1 hr., 36 mins.). As Cajun mad genius James Carville and twitchy, 5-o’clock-shadowed George Stephanopoulos crunch numbers and put out fires, you almost forget that you’re watching real life instead of a nail-biting Hollywood thriller. The Criterion disc’s EXTRAS, highlighted by a 2008 reunion of the Comeback Kid’s battle-scarred advisers, are a political junkie’s dream. A
GAME CHANGE George Stephanopoulos and James Carville in The War Room (Everett Collection)
Genre: Documentary; Director: D.A. Pennebaker, Chris Hegedus; Producer (person): R.J. Cutler; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: October Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!