For a man who had so much to hide, it’s amazing that Bill Clinton gave a team of documentary filmmakers access to the inner sanctum of his 1992 presidential campaign. Thank goodness for bad judgment; otherwise we wouldn’t have The War Room (1993, Not Rated, 1 hr., 36 mins.). As Cajun mad genius James Carville and twitchy, 5-o’clock-shadowed George Stephanopoulos crunch numbers and put out fires, you almost forget that you’re watching real life instead of a nail-biting Hollywood thriller. The Criterion disc’s EXTRAS, highlighted by a 2008 reunion of the Comeback Kid’s battle-scarred advisers, are a political junkie’s dream. A
GAME CHANGE George Stephanopoulos and James Carville in The War Room (Everett Collection)
Genre: Documentary; Director: D.A. Pennebaker, Chris Hegedus; Producer (person): R.J. Cutler; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: October Films
Posted March 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!