Add young Thomas Doret to the short list of nonprofessional kid actors who, aided by gifted directors, deliver truly astounding performances. It’s impossible to tear one’s eyes away from Doret in this typically naturalistic, unsentimental drama from the superb Belgian filmmakers Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne (Rosetta, The Son) about a sad, furious 11-year-old boy, abandoned by his father and taken in by a hairdresser (Cécile de France), to her own surprise. No one charts the wilds of childhood more precisely than the Dardennes. A
ACTS OF KINDNESS Thomas Doret and Cecile de France in The Kid With a Bike (Christine Plenus)
Release Date Limited: 03/16/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted March 16 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Bieber teases music video for Major Lazer collab 'Cold Water'
- Jean-Claude Van Damme walks out of interview over 'boring' questions
- Director Park Chan-wook returns with trailer for 'The Handmaiden'
- Matt Damon on Jimmy Kimmel feud: 'I don't see anything funny about it'
- Nyle DiMarco reads to Deaf kids in 'adorable' video
- Seth Meyers thinks Donald Trump is secretly broke