Deciding whether an actress was wrongfully dumped from a hit TV show is apparently very, very tough. But the judge in Nicollette Sheridan’s $6 million suit against the home of Desperate Housewives told the deadlocked jurors on Friday to try again on Monday.
A third day of deliberations came and went without a verdict in the high-profile case that’s already managed to upstage the last season of the ABC drama. The media company argued that it had approved the death of Sheridan’s Edie Britt character in May 2008 — four months before an incident that she believes precipitated her firing. Showrunner Marc Cherry had struck the actress at the beginning of season 5 in September 2008; Sheridan was killed off later that season after, her attorneys allege, the creator/executive producer was cleared of wrongdoing by ABC.
The actress included a battery charge in her suit but it was dropped by Judge Elizabeth Allen White earlier this week.
A variety of witnesses including Cherry, former ABC executives Mark Pedowitz and Steve McPherson and DH star James Denton testified in the trial. Testimony last week ended up spoiling a major plot point on the show this month – the death of Denton’s character, Mike Delfino.
Nicollette Sheridan’s ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: A round-up of essential takeaways so far
‘Desperate Housewives’ major character death revealed: Read an EXCLUSIVE interview with the star!
‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator says Nicollette Sheridan let go because of ‘unprofessional behavior’
Nicollette Sheridan at ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator Marc Cherry ‘hit me upside the head’