In Abel Ferrara’s unsensational, almost intentionally humdrum countdown to the end of the world (the last vestiges of the ozone layer are set to evaporate at 4:44 a.m.), a New York hipster (Willem Dafoe) skulks around his crimson-walled Lower East Side loft, makes love to his artist girlfriend (Shanyn Leigh), orders Chinese food, squabbles on Skype, and generally seems to feel…not very much. Ferrara’s thin idea for a movie — life goes on, even when it’s about to stop — would have been a lot better had he given his characters more to do. One of Dafoe’s deadbeat friends observes, ”The world’s been ending ever since it started, man,” and you may think the same thing about this movie. (Also available on VOD) C
THE END Willem Dafoe and Paz de la Huerta in 4:44 Last Day on Earth
Genre: Drama; Starring: Willem Dafoe, Natasha Lyonne; Director: Abel Ferrara; Release Date Limited: 03/23/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 82
Posted March 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'