In Abel Ferrara’s unsensational, almost intentionally humdrum countdown to the end of the world (the last vestiges of the ozone layer are set to evaporate at 4:44 a.m.), a New York hipster (Willem Dafoe) skulks around his crimson-walled Lower East Side loft, makes love to his artist girlfriend (Shanyn Leigh), orders Chinese food, squabbles on Skype, and generally seems to feel…not very much. Ferrara’s thin idea for a movie — life goes on, even when it’s about to stop — would have been a lot better had he given his characters more to do. One of Dafoe’s deadbeat friends observes, ”The world’s been ending ever since it started, man,” and you may think the same thing about this movie. (Also available on VOD) C
THE END Willem Dafoe and Paz de la Huerta in 4:44 Last Day on Earth
Genre: Drama; Starring: Willem Dafoe, Natasha Lyonne; Director: Abel Ferrara; Runtime (in minutes): 82
Posted March 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Sharon Osbourne takes 'Talk' break
- Chris Pratt offers pre-apology for any offensive remarks he says during press tour
- An intense new trailer for 'Black Mass' has arrived
- John Stamos on Olsens' 'Fuller House' nix
- This was Chris Pratt's craziest day on the set of 'Jurassic World'
- Why Michael Fassbender loves taking risks
- 'Mr. Holmes': Doyle estate sues
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!