In Abel Ferrara’s unsensational, almost intentionally humdrum countdown to the end of the world (the last vestiges of the ozone layer are set to evaporate at 4:44 a.m.), a New York hipster (Willem Dafoe) skulks around his crimson-walled Lower East Side loft, makes love to his artist girlfriend (Shanyn Leigh), orders Chinese food, squabbles on Skype, and generally seems to feel…not very much. Ferrara’s thin idea for a movie — life goes on, even when it’s about to stop — would have been a lot better had he given his characters more to do. One of Dafoe’s deadbeat friends observes, ”The world’s been ending ever since it started, man,” and you may think the same thing about this movie. (Also available on VOD) C
THE END Willem Dafoe and Paz de la Huerta in 4:44 Last Day on Earth
Genre: Drama; Starring: Willem Dafoe, Natasha Lyonne; Director: Abel Ferrara; Runtime (in minutes): 82
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Zack Snyder tweets new 'Batman v Superman' poster
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!