In Abel Ferrara’s unsensational, almost intentionally humdrum countdown to the end of the world (the last vestiges of the ozone layer are set to evaporate at 4:44 a.m.), a New York hipster (Willem Dafoe) skulks around his crimson-walled Lower East Side loft, makes love to his artist girlfriend (Shanyn Leigh), orders Chinese food, squabbles on Skype, and generally seems to feel…not very much. Ferrara’s thin idea for a movie — life goes on, even when it’s about to stop — would have been a lot better had he given his characters more to do. One of Dafoe’s deadbeat friends observes, ”The world’s been ending ever since it started, man,” and you may think the same thing about this movie. (Also available on VOD) C
THE END Willem Dafoe and Paz de la Huerta in 4:44 Last Day on Earth
Genre: Drama; Starring: Willem Dafoe, Natasha Lyonne; Director: Abel Ferrara; Runtime (in minutes): 82
Posted March 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!