At 71, this New Orleans R&B legend hardly needs help finding the funk. But there’s no denying the vintage voodoo — or the palpable disgust — the Doctor summons with Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys, who produced Locked Down following an onstage jam at last year’s Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee. On ”Revolution,” John bemoans the ”dumb moves of money” over a rich retro-soul groove, while the percolating ”Ice Age” imagines the KKK and the CIA ”playin’ in the same cage.” A-
THE DOCTOR IS IN Borrowing the talents of Black Keys producer Dan Auerbach, the 71-year-old groove master upholds his trademark funky sounds (Lisa Houlgrave)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Dr. John; Music Label: Nonesuch
Posted March 30 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office preview: 'Magic Mike XXL' faces off against 'Terminator Genisys'
- Melissa Benoist talks goals for 'Supergirl': 'not a trite or a shallow depiction'
- Trevor Noah was in an inconvenient place when he got the Daily Show news
- Melissa Leo cast in HBO's LBJ movie
- 'Star Wars,' 'Batman v Superman' and more -- here's your Comic-Con movies schedule
- 'Hateful Eight' First Look photo: Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson in Tarantino's 'snow Western'
- 7 photos of Matt Damon's new ponytail