Like climbing Mount Everest or drinking a whole gallon of milk at one time, it’s a truly impressive accomplishment: With American Reunion, Eugene Levy is now the only person on earth to have starred in all eight films of the American Pie series. That’s four movies released theatrically and four not-quite-classics that went directly to DVD, like 2006’s American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile. In each of them, the caterpillar-browed funnyman has played the same character: the well-meaning but awkwardly frank Mr. Levenstein (i.e., Jason Biggs’ dad — even though Biggs does not appear in the parallel-universe DVD sequels). Levy, however, has his own system of counting. ”I separate the theatrical releases from the straight-to-DVD,” he says. ”So to me, it’s more of a four, with an asterisk.” Working his way through the hallowed American Pie canon, Levy has walked in on his fair share of people in compromising situations, starting with catching Biggs in flagrante delicto in 1999’s American Pie. ”I’ve probably done that at least eight times,” he says. So after all that frantic eye-shielding and backpedaling, has he learned to knock first before entering a room? ”Sure, but there are always fewer laughs if you knock.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on how to make the perfect finale (when Nina Dobrev is leaving)
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!