Helen Simpson knows that people are selfish and delusional, but the reason her short-story collections are such a pleasure to glide through is that she isn’t a jerk about it. She’s funny, shrewd, alternately wicked and warm — i.e., British. Global warming hangs over many of the stories in In-Flight Entertainment (not in an irritating way) and throws the characters’ self-important rushing around into sad comic relief. In the title story, for instance, an elderly man dies during a flight, causing an unscheduled landing — and our main character’s chief reaction is annoyance because he’s going to be late for a presentation in Chicago. The obvious irony is that he, like all of us, has even less time than he thinks. B+
In-Flight EntertainmentHelen Simpson knows that people are selfish and delusional, but the reason her short-story collections are such a pleasure to glide through is that she...In-Flight EntertainmentShort StoriesHelen SimpsonHelen Simpson knows that people are selfish and delusional, but the reason her short-story collections are such a pleasure to glide through is that she...2012-04-06Knopf
SKY HIGH British author Helen Simpson releases a clever and colorful collection of short stories
Genre: Short Stories; Author: Helen Simpson; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More