Helen Simpson knows that people are selfish and delusional, but the reason her short-story collections are such a pleasure to glide through is that she isn’t a jerk about it. She’s funny, shrewd, alternately wicked and warm — i.e., British. Global warming hangs over many of the stories in In-Flight Entertainment (not in an irritating way) and throws the characters’ self-important rushing around into sad comic relief. In the title story, for instance, an elderly man dies during a flight, causing an unscheduled landing — and our main character’s chief reaction is annoyance because he’s going to be late for a presentation in Chicago. The obvious irony is that he, like all of us, has even less time than he thinks. B+
In-Flight EntertainmentHelen Simpson knows that people are selfish and delusional, but the reason her short-story collections are such a pleasure to glide through is that she...In-Flight EntertainmentShort StoriesHelen SimpsonHelen Simpson knows that people are selfish and delusional, but the reason her short-story collections are such a pleasure to glide through is that she...2012-04-06Knopf
SKY HIGH British author Helen Simpson releases a clever and colorful collection of short stories
Genre: Short Stories; Author: Helen Simpson; Publisher: Knopf
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- Cary Fukunaga leaves Stephen King adaptation 'It,' production indefinitely delayed
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!