American artists have borrowed from West African music for decades, so it only makes sense that Mali’s most famous married duo would cash in a few long-standing favors. Folila, Amadou & Mariam’s seventh album, features drop-ins from Santigold, Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner, and neo-soul star Theophilus London. Though they sing in different languages, the tongue of teamwork makes for universal understanding — especially on the spry, haunting ”Wily Kataso.” A-
'FOLILA'-LA The married couple from Mali turn blend different languages and West African sounds on their eclectic new release (Youri Lenquette)
Genre: World; Music Label: Nonesuch
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!