American artists have borrowed from West African music for decades, so it only makes sense that Mali’s most famous married duo would cash in a few long-standing favors. Folila, Amadou & Mariam’s seventh album, features drop-ins from Santigold, Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner, and neo-soul star Theophilus London. Though they sing in different languages, the tongue of teamwork makes for universal understanding — especially on the spry, haunting ”Wily Kataso.” A-
'FOLILA'-LA The married couple from Mali turn blend different languages and West African sounds on their eclectic new release (Youri Lenquette)
Genre: World; Music Label: Nonesuch
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- Julian Seinfeld's lemonade stand shut down by the police
- J.K. Rowling applauds 'Harry Potter' stars' Twitter rivalry
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!