American artists have borrowed from West African music for decades, so it only makes sense that Mali’s most famous married duo would cash in a few long-standing favors. Folila, Amadou & Mariam’s seventh album, features drop-ins from Santigold, Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner, and neo-soul star Theophilus London. Though they sing in different languages, the tongue of teamwork makes for universal understanding — especially on the spry, haunting ”Wily Kataso.” A-
'FOLILA'-LA The married couple from Mali turn blend different languages and West African sounds on their eclectic new release (Youri Lenquette)
Genre: World; Music Label: Nonesuch
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!