Lawson’s website, TheBloggess.com, has gone viral several times over, and here’s why: She writes with a rambling irreverence that makes you wish she were your best friend. But some of that charm gets lost in translation from blog to book. Lawson has great stories in Let’s Pretend This Never Happened — including several gut-busters from her feral upbringing in rural Texas and her now-famous misadventures with a giant metal chicken — but she pokes holes in what should be punchy material with distractions her new medium affords her: editor’s notes, multiple prefaces, lengthy parentheticals, and footnotes. Granted, she’s known for chattiness, but when she repeatedly jokes that you shouldn’t read the next chapter, eventually you want to listen. B
BLOG TO BOOK Though charming and quirky, Lawson's memoir can't rustle up the same poignancy she displays on her blog
Genre: Memoir; Author: Jenny Lawson; Publisher: Putnam
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as the Joker: 'Suicide Squad' director tweets a photo