Lawson’s website, TheBloggess.com, has gone viral several times over, and here’s why: She writes with a rambling irreverence that makes you wish she were your best friend. But some of that charm gets lost in translation from blog to book. Lawson has great stories in Let’s Pretend This Never Happened — including several gut-busters from her feral upbringing in rural Texas and her now-famous misadventures with a giant metal chicken — but she pokes holes in what should be punchy material with distractions her new medium affords her: editor’s notes, multiple prefaces, lengthy parentheticals, and footnotes. Granted, she’s known for chattiness, but when she repeatedly jokes that you shouldn’t read the next chapter, eventually you want to listen. B
BLOG TO BOOK Though charming and quirky, Lawson's memoir can't rustle up the same poignancy she displays on her blog
Genre: Memoir; Author: Jenny Lawson; Publisher: Putnam
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!