Lawson’s website, TheBloggess.com, has gone viral several times over, and here’s why: She writes with a rambling irreverence that makes you wish she were your best friend. But some of that charm gets lost in translation from blog to book. Lawson has great stories in Let’s Pretend This Never Happened — including several gut-busters from her feral upbringing in rural Texas and her now-famous misadventures with a giant metal chicken — but she pokes holes in what should be punchy material with distractions her new medium affords her: editor’s notes, multiple prefaces, lengthy parentheticals, and footnotes. Granted, she’s known for chattiness, but when she repeatedly jokes that you shouldn’t read the next chapter, eventually you want to listen. B
BLOG TO BOOK Though charming and quirky, Lawson's memoir can't rustle up the same poignancy she displays on her blog
Genre: Memoir; Author: Jenny Lawson; Publisher: Putnam
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Jamie Foxx makes controversial Bruce Jenner joke at iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Play a 'Super Mario 64' level online for free
- Death threats against BBC director investigated following Jeremy Clarkson firing
- Harrison Ford released from hospital following plane crash: Report
- Chrissy Teigen, Ludacris to host Billboard Music Awards
- Deadline editor apologizes for controversial diversity in casting article
- Gallant drops a rain-streaked video for his next-level slow jam 'Open Up': Exclusive
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Clare & Don and More!