Lawson’s website, TheBloggess.com, has gone viral several times over, and here’s why: She writes with a rambling irreverence that makes you wish she were your best friend. But some of that charm gets lost in translation from blog to book. Lawson has great stories in Let’s Pretend This Never Happened — including several gut-busters from her feral upbringing in rural Texas and her now-famous misadventures with a giant metal chicken — but she pokes holes in what should be punchy material with distractions her new medium affords her: editor’s notes, multiple prefaces, lengthy parentheticals, and footnotes. Granted, she’s known for chattiness, but when she repeatedly jokes that you shouldn’t read the next chapter, eventually you want to listen. B
BLOG TO BOOK Though charming and quirky, Lawson's memoir can't rustle up the same poignancy she displays on her blog
Genre: Memoir; Author: Jenny Lawson; Publisher: Putnam
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!