Lawson’s website, TheBloggess.com, has gone viral several times over, and here’s why: She writes with a rambling irreverence that makes you wish she were your best friend. But some of that charm gets lost in translation from blog to book. Lawson has great stories in Let’s Pretend This Never Happened — including several gut-busters from her feral upbringing in rural Texas and her now-famous misadventures with a giant metal chicken — but she pokes holes in what should be punchy material with distractions her new medium affords her: editor’s notes, multiple prefaces, lengthy parentheticals, and footnotes. Granted, she’s known for chattiness, but when she repeatedly jokes that you shouldn’t read the next chapter, eventually you want to listen. B
BLOG TO BOOK Though charming and quirky, Lawson's memoir can't rustle up the same poignancy she displays on her blog
Genre: Memoir; Author: Jenny Lawson; Publisher: Putnam
Posted April 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- All the breakout artists Zane Lowe highlighted during his debut show on Beats 1
- James Gunn absolutely loved 'Ant-Man'
- Gay Men's Chorus of L.A. covers Britney Spears' 'Work Bitch'
- Cheryl Burke quits as Miss USA cohost
- Aquaman named 'most toxic superhero' to search for online
- Jeremy Renner on J.Lo jokes, gay rumors, and how 'Avengers' nearly killed him
- Spring King is first band played on Apple Music's Beats 1: 'We had no idea'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!