Director Mary Harron brought her spiky intelligence to I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho, and The Notorious Bettie Page. But her torpid adaptation of Rachel Klein’s novel about female sexual desire, jealousy, death wishes, and vampires at a girls’ boarding school defeats Harron’s talent for exploring darkness on the edge of kinkiness. Sarah Bolger plays a dull Everygirl trying to get through teen gloom. Inexpressive British model Lily Cole stares at a vampiric new classmate. (Also available on VOD) C
THE MOTH DIARIES (Jan Thijs/IFC)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Sarah Bolger, Lily Cole; Director: Mary Harron; Release Date Limited: 04/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R
Posted April 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?
- Lady Gaga to be honored by Grammy Museum
- CineFix ranks the 10 best final film shots of all time