Director Mary Harron brought her spiky intelligence to I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho, and The Notorious Bettie Page. But her torpid adaptation of Rachel Klein’s novel about female sexual desire, jealousy, death wishes, and vampires at a girls’ boarding school defeats Harron’s talent for exploring darkness on the edge of kinkiness. Sarah Bolger plays a dull Everygirl trying to get through teen gloom. Inexpressive British model Lily Cole stares at a vampiric new classmate. (Also available on VOD) C
THE MOTH DIARIES (Jan Thijs/IFC)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Sarah Bolger, Lily Cole; Director: Mary Harron; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquaio fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!