Director Mary Harron brought her spiky intelligence to I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho, and The Notorious Bettie Page. But her torpid adaptation of Rachel Klein’s novel about female sexual desire, jealousy, death wishes, and vampires at a girls’ boarding school defeats Harron’s talent for exploring darkness on the edge of kinkiness. Sarah Bolger plays a dull Everygirl trying to get through teen gloom. Inexpressive British model Lily Cole stares at a vampiric new classmate. (Also available on VOD) C
THE MOTH DIARIES (Jan Thijs/IFC)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Sarah Bolger, Lily Cole; Director: Mary Harron; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Survivor' exclusive sneak peek: Watch the 'Worlds Apart' merge
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!