Virginia Woolf believed that ordinary decisions matter so much that it’s ”very dangerous to live even one day.” This promising debut novel, a political thriller inspired by Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, takes that warning literally. Clare Moorhouse is throwing a dinner party to boost her husband’s career. But as she prepares, a mistake she made long ago suddenly threatens the safety of everyone near her. Korkeakivi shares Woolf’s flair for making everyday rituals (buying flowers, setting the table) seem profound. But too many coincidences in An Unexpected Guest keep her Big Surprising Moments from feeling as meaningful. B
DINNER PARTY DISASTER In her debut, Korkeakivi uses Virginia Woolf as inspiration for her protagonist
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anne Korkeakivi; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted April 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Bill Clinton to appear on 'StarTalk' season 2 premiere
- Graceland sneak peek: Paige is going undercover with the Sarkissians
- Joffrey comments on violence against women on 'Game of Thrones'
- Zayn Malik signs with RCA, says he 'left' 1D to 'show you who I really am'
- Cat Power will narrate the Janis Joplin documentary 'Janis'
- Niles Rodgers talks making 'cool as s--t' music with Beck
- Brie Larson's 'Room' gets October release date
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!