Virginia Woolf believed that ordinary decisions matter so much that it’s ”very dangerous to live even one day.” This promising debut novel, a political thriller inspired by Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, takes that warning literally. Clare Moorhouse is throwing a dinner party to boost her husband’s career. But as she prepares, a mistake she made long ago suddenly threatens the safety of everyone near her. Korkeakivi shares Woolf’s flair for making everyday rituals (buying flowers, setting the table) seem profound. But too many coincidences in An Unexpected Guest keep her Big Surprising Moments from feeling as meaningful. B
DINNER PARTY DISASTER In her debut, Korkeakivi uses Virginia Woolf as inspiration for her protagonist
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anne Korkeakivi; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards: The Winners
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!