Virginia Woolf believed that ordinary decisions matter so much that it’s ”very dangerous to live even one day.” This promising debut novel, a political thriller inspired by Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, takes that warning literally. Clare Moorhouse is throwing a dinner party to boost her husband’s career. But as she prepares, a mistake she made long ago suddenly threatens the safety of everyone near her. Korkeakivi shares Woolf’s flair for making everyday rituals (buying flowers, setting the table) seem profound. But too many coincidences in An Unexpected Guest keep her Big Surprising Moments from feeling as meaningful. B
DINNER PARTY DISASTER In her debut, Korkeakivi uses Virginia Woolf as inspiration for her protagonist
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anne Korkeakivi; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted April 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Harry Potter & the Cursed Child' script due out this summer
- Grammys 2016: Secret Ballot
- 'The Walking Dead' returns with 6 exclusive EW collector's covers
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See 'Frozen' fan-favorite Olaf on 'Sofia the FIrst'
- Telltale Games' 'The Walking Dead: Michonne' sets release date
- See 'Walking Dead' actor Josh McDermitt in the first trailer for 'Life in Color'
- Amazon orders four seasons of 'Thunderbirds Are Go' with Rosamund Pike