Virginia Woolf believed that ordinary decisions matter so much that it’s ”very dangerous to live even one day.” This promising debut novel, a political thriller inspired by Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, takes that warning literally. Clare Moorhouse is throwing a dinner party to boost her husband’s career. But as she prepares, a mistake she made long ago suddenly threatens the safety of everyone near her. Korkeakivi shares Woolf’s flair for making everyday rituals (buying flowers, setting the table) seem profound. But too many coincidences in An Unexpected Guest keep her Big Surprising Moments from feeling as meaningful. B
DINNER PARTY DISASTER In her debut, Korkeakivi uses Virginia Woolf as inspiration for her protagonist
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anne Korkeakivi; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted April 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!