No amount of gorgeous jungle footage can make up for the fact that this Disney-produced documentary feels about as natural as an episode of The Hills, though with (slightly) more feral characters. Narrated by Tim Allen, Chimpanzee gives us a fully smoothed-out story — about an orphan ape named Oscar — populated with chimps so cute and Disney-fied that you half expect them to break out in an Alan Menken song. Stay for the end credits: A mini making-of, showing the filmmakers’ battles with bugs and jungle fauna, is more revelatory than anything in the actual movie. B
HUMAN-LIKE Oscar tries to find companionship after he's left to fend for himself in Chimpanzee (Disney)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 78; Distributor: Disneynature
Posted April 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George Takei: Nimoy 'the most human person I've ever met'
- Zachary Quinto on Leonard Nimoy: 'a father figure to me'
- Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell in 'Get Hard': Red-band trailer really, REALLY NSFW
- Natalie Dormer stars in Hozier's 'Someone New' video
- Vincent D'Onofrio as 'Daredevil' nemesis Wilson Fisk: First Look
- Pharrell talks 'The Voice,' Lionel Richie as adviser
- 'Spider-Man': Drew Goddard as director?