No amount of gorgeous jungle footage can make up for the fact that this Disney-produced documentary feels about as natural as an episode of The Hills, though with (slightly) more feral characters. Narrated by Tim Allen, Chimpanzee gives us a fully smoothed-out story — about an orphan ape named Oscar — populated with chimps so cute and Disney-fied that you half expect them to break out in an Alan Menken song. Stay for the end credits: A mini making-of, showing the filmmakers’ battles with bugs and jungle fauna, is more revelatory than anything in the actual movie. B
HUMAN-LIKE Oscar tries to find companionship after he's left to fend for himself in Chimpanzee (Disney)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 78; Distributor: Disneynature
Posted April 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel