No amount of gorgeous jungle footage can make up for the fact that this Disney-produced documentary feels about as natural as an episode of The Hills, though with (slightly) more feral characters. Narrated by Tim Allen, Chimpanzee gives us a fully smoothed-out story — about an orphan ape named Oscar — populated with chimps so cute and Disney-fied that you half expect them to break out in an Alan Menken song. Stay for the end credits: A mini making-of, showing the filmmakers’ battles with bugs and jungle fauna, is more revelatory than anything in the actual movie. B
HUMAN-LIKE Oscar tries to find companionship after he's left to fend for himself in Chimpanzee (Disney)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 78; Distributor: Disneynature
Posted April 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!