No amount of gorgeous jungle footage can make up for the fact that this Disney-produced documentary feels about as natural as an episode of The Hills, though with (slightly) more feral characters. Narrated by Tim Allen, Chimpanzee gives us a fully smoothed-out story — about an orphan ape named Oscar — populated with chimps so cute and Disney-fied that you half expect them to break out in an Alan Menken song. Stay for the end credits: A mini making-of, showing the filmmakers’ battles with bugs and jungle fauna, is more revelatory than anything in the actual movie. B
HUMAN-LIKE Oscar tries to find companionship after he's left to fend for himself in Chimpanzee (Disney)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 78; Distributor: Disneynature
Posted April 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shudder chief says horror movie-streaming service is 'all killer, no filler'
- Tig Notaro strips down in 'Boyish Girl Interrupted' clip
- Jared Padalecki & Stephen Amell get shirtless in the name of charity
- Simon Kinberg defends 'Fantastic 4': 'It’s not a disaster'
- Meet the new kids on the hip-hop block
- 'The Mindy Project's Ike Barinholtz is coming out with a book
- A movie about Pez Candy is being made
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!