No amount of gorgeous jungle footage can make up for the fact that this Disney-produced documentary feels about as natural as an episode of The Hills, though with (slightly) more feral characters. Narrated by Tim Allen, Chimpanzee gives us a fully smoothed-out story — about an orphan ape named Oscar — populated with chimps so cute and Disney-fied that you half expect them to break out in an Alan Menken song. Stay for the end credits: A mini making-of, showing the filmmakers’ battles with bugs and jungle fauna, is more revelatory than anything in the actual movie. B
HUMAN-LIKE Oscar tries to find companionship after he's left to fend for himself in Chimpanzee (Disney)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 78; Distributor: Disneynature
Posted April 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony