No amount of gorgeous jungle footage can make up for the fact that this Disney-produced documentary feels about as natural as an episode of The Hills, though with (slightly) more feral characters. Narrated by Tim Allen, Chimpanzee gives us a fully smoothed-out story — about an orphan ape named Oscar — populated with chimps so cute and Disney-fied that you half expect them to break out in an Alan Menken song. Stay for the end credits: A mini making-of, showing the filmmakers’ battles with bugs and jungle fauna, is more revelatory than anything in the actual movie. B
HUMAN-LIKE Oscar tries to find companionship after he's left to fend for himself in Chimpanzee (Disney)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Release Date Wide: 04/20/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 78; Distributor: Disneynature
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- Fox cancels The Mindy Project
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on how to make the perfect finale (when Nina Dobrev is leaving)
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- 'Survivor' fan-voted 'Second Chance' season: Jeff Probst explains it all
- 'Scandal': Will Mellie actually win the election?
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!