If you’ve been curious about James Franco’s career as a grad student, you now have the chance to see his 2011 New York University master’s thesis. (What’s next, the release of his English term papers?) The Broken Tower is an art biopic about the turbulent 1920s American poet Hart Crane, starring Franco. And — surprise — it’s a pensive and heartfelt movie, assuming that you let yourself get caught up in its moody-minimalist, more-visual-than-verbal style. Crane, a Beat poet before his time, emerges as the missing link between T.S. Eliot and Allen Ginsberg. (Also on VOD) B-
BEAT GENERATION James Franco in his master's thesis film The Broken Tower
Genre: Drama; Starring: James Franco, Michael Shannon; Director: James Franco; Release Date Limited: 04/27/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 109; Distributor: Focus
Posted April 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Statham on Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson drama: 'I stay out' of it
- Chris O'Dowd to star in Epix's 'Get Shorty' TV series
- Streamy Awards announce 2016 nominations
- 'Lip Sync Battle' bringing back celebrity champs for first live special
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...