Because he’s done so much to reinvigorate cinema, Steven Soderbergh is one of those filmmakers who sometimes seem to get a free pass from critics. When his female-driven action dud Haywire (2012, R, 1 hr., 33 mins.) hit theaters in January, it wasn’t slammed for being a lousy movie, it was forgiven as Soderbergh’s ”experiment in genre filmmaking” (which is an awfully highfalutin way to avoid saying that the experiment failed). Either way, Hollywood’s been a little lax lately in cranking out kick-ass heroines like Sigourney Weaver in Aliens and Geena Davis in one of my personal faves, The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996, R, 1 hr., 54 mins.). Directed by Davis’ then hubby, Renny Harlin, this bat-crap insane explosionfest couldn’t be more ridiculous. But it’s also fun as hell, thanks to Shane Black’s (Lethal Weapon) cartoonishly quippy script, which packs more tough-guy one-liners than a dozen Schwarzenegger flicks. Davis plays Samantha Caine, a square suburban schoolteacher who snaps out of an eight-year bout of amnesia to discover that she used to be a ruthlessly sexy CIA assassin. As the agency sics its most sadistic hitmen on her, she hits the road with Samuel L. Jackson’s chain-smoking private detective until she can remember why they want her dead. I know, I know, you’ve seen this movie before (probably with the name Bourne in the title, too). But trust me, no one dishes out the pain like Davis’ Samantha Caine. The Long Kiss Goodnight: B+
FEROCIOUS FUN Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson in The Long Kiss Goodnight (Everett Collection)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Geena Davis, Samuel L. Jackson, Craig Bierko, Brian Cox; Director: Renny Harlin; Author: Shane Black; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted April 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!