Roth’s 2011 debut novel, Divergent — about a dystopian world whose inhabitants are divided into five trait-based factions (Amity, Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite) — inspired a passionate following. The sequel finds our heroine, Tris, reeling from the multiple tragedies she endured at the end of book 1; with her loyalties to the Dauntless weakened, she ventures into previously unexplored territory in Insurgent. Though Roth relies on easy plot devices — there’s no shortage of mind-control chips, injections, and serums — she’s ratcheted up the drama, and she’ll leave fans salivating for book 3. B+
FIVE FACTIONS The sequel to 2011's ''Divergent'' finds tragedy-struck Tris wandering into unchartered land
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Veronica Roth; Status: In Season; Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Posted May 4 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters