Roth’s 2011 debut novel, Divergent — about a dystopian world whose inhabitants are divided into five trait-based factions (Amity, Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite) — inspired a passionate following. The sequel finds our heroine, Tris, reeling from the multiple tragedies she endured at the end of book 1; with her loyalties to the Dauntless weakened, she ventures into previously unexplored territory in Insurgent. Though Roth relies on easy plot devices — there’s no shortage of mind-control chips, injections, and serums — she’s ratcheted up the drama, and she’ll leave fans salivating for book 3. B+
FIVE FACTIONS The sequel to 2011's ''Divergent'' finds tragedy-struck Tris wandering into unchartered land
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Veronica Roth; Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Posted May 4 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ranking every song on Pearl Jam's 'Ten'
- Barbra Streisand and Jimmy Fallon yell at Siri
- Young Thug name checks Harambe, Kanye West in first project as Jeffery
- Kerry Washington sees the horror in group texts
- Barbra Streisand duets with 'Donald Trump' on 'The Tonight Show'
- What to Watch This Weekend: Find out who did what on 'The Night Of'
- Tim Kaine rocks the harmonica on 'The Late Show'