Roth’s 2011 debut novel, Divergent — about a dystopian world whose inhabitants are divided into five trait-based factions (Amity, Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite) — inspired a passionate following. The sequel finds our heroine, Tris, reeling from the multiple tragedies she endured at the end of book 1; with her loyalties to the Dauntless weakened, she ventures into previously unexplored territory in Insurgent. Though Roth relies on easy plot devices — there’s no shortage of mind-control chips, injections, and serums — she’s ratcheted up the drama, and she’ll leave fans salivating for book 3. B+
FIVE FACTIONS The sequel to 2011's ''Divergent'' finds tragedy-struck Tris wandering into unchartered land
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Veronica Roth; Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Posted May 4 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Graceland sneak peek: Paige is going undercover with the Sarkissians
- Joffrey comments on violence against women on 'Game of Thrones'
- Zayn Malik signs with RCA, says he 'left' 1D to 'show you who I really am'
- Cat Power will narrate the Janis Joplin documentary 'Janis'
- Niles Rodgers talks making 'cool as s--t' music with Beck
- Brie Larson's 'Room' gets October release date
- Trevor Noah delivers race-focused stand-up set, talks taking over for Jon Stewart
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!