Roth’s 2011 debut novel, Divergent — about a dystopian world whose inhabitants are divided into five trait-based factions (Amity, Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite) — inspired a passionate following. The sequel finds our heroine, Tris, reeling from the multiple tragedies she endured at the end of book 1; with her loyalties to the Dauntless weakened, she ventures into previously unexplored territory in Insurgent. Though Roth relies on easy plot devices — there’s no shortage of mind-control chips, injections, and serums — she’s ratcheted up the drama, and she’ll leave fans salivating for book 3. B+
FIVE FACTIONS The sequel to 2011's ''Divergent'' finds tragedy-struck Tris wandering into unchartered land
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Veronica Roth; Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Posted May 4 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton
- Chloë Grace Moretz urges millennials to vote Hillary at DNC
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Donald Trump's proposed Muslim ban is 'tyranny'
- Meryl Streep in talks to join Emily Blunt in 'Mary Poppins Returns'