Four students, all first-generation Indian immigrants, meet at UCLA and become fast friends in The Invitation. But once dispersed by graduation, they don’t reunite for a quarter century, until the socially bumbling member of their clique — now a computer-company millionaire — invites them to celebrate his son’s MIT graduation. The requisite ingredients — jealousy, regret, conflict between traditional Indian values and modern American ones — are all here, yet in Cherian’s gorgeously embroidered tale, nothing turns out remotely like you’d expect. A-
REGRETFUL REUNION Cherian exquisitely weaves jealousy and regret with varying Indian and American values
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anne Cherian; Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!