Explaining the intricacies of Clare’s fantastical Mortal Instruments series is a tough task. But I’ll try: Clary Fray is a Shadowhunter — a member of a secret society of demon hunters. Take that fraught premise and toss in some vampires, werewolves, warlocks, faeries, and a teenage love triangle, and you’ve got the general idea. In City of Lost Souls, the gripping fifth installment, Clary’s boyfriend, Jace, is bound to the villain Sebastian: Kill one, and the other dies too. With a movie version of the series in the works, now’s the time to jump on the bandwagon. Start with City of Bones and prepare to be hooked. B+
SECRET SOCIETY The next installment of Clare's Mortal Instrument series proves to be a gripping, supernatural read
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Cassandra Clare; Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Posted May 11 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations