Explaining the intricacies of Clare’s fantastical Mortal Instruments series is a tough task. But I’ll try: Clary Fray is a Shadowhunter — a member of a secret society of demon hunters. Take that fraught premise and toss in some vampires, werewolves, warlocks, faeries, and a teenage love triangle, and you’ve got the general idea. In City of Lost Souls, the gripping fifth installment, Clary’s boyfriend, Jace, is bound to the villain Sebastian: Kill one, and the other dies too. With a movie version of the series in the works, now’s the time to jump on the bandwagon. Start with City of Bones and prepare to be hooked. B+
SECRET SOCIETY The next installment of Clare's Mortal Instrument series proves to be a gripping, supernatural read
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Cassandra Clare; Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Posted May 11 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon share a textual experience
- What To Watch Thursday: Another bad person in 'The Good Place'
- 'A Game of Thrones': Preview the enhanced iBooks edition
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst on the latest medical scare
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'
- Bon Iver played a surprise concert at Berlin hotel