Most Americans know very little about Hasidic Jews — and virtually nothing about the Satmar, the most insular Hasidic sect. I Am Forbidden follows two Satmar sisters, devout Mila and rebellious Atara, from World War II-era Transylvania to 1960s Paris to modern-day Brooklyn. Once inseparable, the two grow apart as Mila embraces the regimented Satmar community while Atara is ”erased” from it — until a profoundly heretical secret brings them back together. Markovits’ English-language debut is a challenging read. Her spring-loaded prose speeds through decades, continents, and Hasidic rituals, sometimes without waiting for you to catch up. But this ambitious, revelatory novel (which includes a helpful glossary of Yiddish and Hebrew terms) richly rewards your efforts and heralds a promising new writer. A-
I Am ForbiddenMost Americans know very little about Hasidic Jews — and virtually nothing about the Satmar, the most insular Hasidic sect. I Am ForbiddenI Am ForbiddenFictionAnouk MarkovitsMost Americans know very little about Hasidic Jews — and virtually nothing about the Satmar, the most insular Hasidic sect. I Am Forbidden2012-05-11
'FORBIDDEN' FAMILY Markovits makes her stamp on the literary world with an ambitious, religiously-centered debut
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anouk Markovits
Posted May 11 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!