Most Americans know very little about Hasidic Jews — and virtually nothing about the Satmar, the most insular Hasidic sect. I Am Forbidden follows two Satmar sisters, devout Mila and rebellious Atara, from World War II-era Transylvania to 1960s Paris to modern-day Brooklyn. Once inseparable, the two grow apart as Mila embraces the regimented Satmar community while Atara is ”erased” from it — until a profoundly heretical secret brings them back together. Markovits’ English-language debut is a challenging read. Her spring-loaded prose speeds through decades, continents, and Hasidic rituals, sometimes without waiting for you to catch up. But this ambitious, revelatory novel (which includes a helpful glossary of Yiddish and Hebrew terms) richly rewards your efforts and heralds a promising new writer. A-
I Am ForbiddenMost Americans know very little about Hasidic Jews — and virtually nothing about the Satmar, the most insular Hasidic sect. I Am ForbiddenI Am ForbiddenFictionAnouk MarkovitsMost Americans know very little about Hasidic Jews — and virtually nothing about the Satmar, the most insular Hasidic sect. I Am Forbidden2012-05-11
'FORBIDDEN' FAMILY Markovits makes her stamp on the literary world with an ambitious, religiously-centered debut
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anouk Markovits
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!