Adam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it’s hard to understand why it took him so long to make his big gay dance-club album. Even after he came out in 2009, the eighth-season runner-up didn’t stop flirting with the straight crowd, indulging in classic-rock guitars and gender-neutral pronouns on his debut, For Your Entertainment. But on Trespassing, he’s left the closet far behind — defending gay marriage (”Outlaws of Love”) and celebrating what happens when two consenting adults love each other enough to share their safe words (”Chokehold”). He’s also officially coming out as a superfan of funk, ’80s-night house, and Studio 54 grooves, tapping Chic’s Nile Rodgers to produce, along with Pharrell Williams and Dr. Luke. Thanks to these pop vets, Trespassing’s first half is a study in fabulosity: ”Kickin’ In” is stripper-heel disco at its finest, and the rousing ”Shady” plants its freak flag in the uncharted territory between Nine Inch Nails and Michael Jackson. Too bad the ballad-heavy second half is so laughably over-the-top. By the end, our hero is wailing about fallen Towers of Babel and ripping away his flesh and bone to a ”red river of screams.” Cheer up, Glammy. It’s nothing a little makeup remover can’t fix. B-
TrespassingAdam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it's hard to understand why it took him so...TrespassingPopAdam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it's hard to understand why it took him so...2012-05-11
FABULOUS 'IDOL' Lambert's latest rings in larger-than-life anthems that end up feeling exaggerated
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Adam Lambert; Music Label: RCA
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!