Adam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it’s hard to understand why it took him so long to make his big gay dance-club album. Even after he came out in 2009, the eighth-season runner-up didn’t stop flirting with the straight crowd, indulging in classic-rock guitars and gender-neutral pronouns on his debut, For Your Entertainment. But on Trespassing, he’s left the closet far behind — defending gay marriage (”Outlaws of Love”) and celebrating what happens when two consenting adults love each other enough to share their safe words (”Chokehold”). He’s also officially coming out as a superfan of funk, ’80s-night house, and Studio 54 grooves, tapping Chic’s Nile Rodgers to produce, along with Pharrell Williams and Dr. Luke. Thanks to these pop vets, Trespassing’s first half is a study in fabulosity: ”Kickin’ In” is stripper-heel disco at its finest, and the rousing ”Shady” plants its freak flag in the uncharted territory between Nine Inch Nails and Michael Jackson. Too bad the ballad-heavy second half is so laughably over-the-top. By the end, our hero is wailing about fallen Towers of Babel and ripping away his flesh and bone to a ”red river of screams.” Cheer up, Glammy. It’s nothing a little makeup remover can’t fix. B-
TrespassingAdam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it's hard to understand why it took him so...TrespassingPopAdam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it's hard to understand why it took him so...2012-05-11
FABULOUS 'IDOL' Lambert's latest rings in larger-than-life anthems that end up feeling exaggerated
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Adam Lambert; Music Label: RCA
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!