Bobcat Goldthwait’s new movie is a burlesque that turns into a harangue that turns into a rampage. Joel Murray, looking like an office-drone Brian Wilson, plays a divorced dad snowed under by the derisiveness of American culture. He murders a reality TV star, then teams up with a misanthropic brat (Tara Lynne Barr), and the two go on a killing spree. Most of the film consists of them listing all the stuff they hate (NASCAR fans! American Idol! Folks who misuse the word literally!). It’s like Falling Down remade by MAD magazine. (Also available on VOD) C
GOD BLESS AMERICA Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr
Genre: Drama; Director: Bobcat Goldthwait; Release Date Limited: 05/11/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 104; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 15 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'