Bobcat Goldthwait’s new movie is a burlesque that turns into a harangue that turns into a rampage. Joel Murray, looking like an office-drone Brian Wilson, plays a divorced dad snowed under by the derisiveness of American culture. He murders a reality TV star, then teams up with a misanthropic brat (Tara Lynne Barr), and the two go on a killing spree. Most of the film consists of them listing all the stuff they hate (NASCAR fans! American Idol! Folks who misuse the word literally!). It’s like Falling Down remade by MAD magazine. (Also available on VOD) C
GOD BLESS AMERICA Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr
Genre: Drama; Director: Bobcat Goldthwait; Release Date Limited: 05/11/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 104; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 15 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lewis Black calls Jon Stewart the 'Walter Cronkite of his generation'
- Cheryl Boone Isaacs re-elected Academy president
- Ridley Scott hints that 'Prometheus' sequel will be next
- 'The Walking Dead' star Melissa McBride says season 6 is a 'crazy ride'
- EA announces 'Star Wars: Battlefront' Fighter Squadron mode
- Are those 'Daily Show' field segments real? Jessica Williams answers
- Billy Joel closes down Nassau Coliseum with help from Paul Simon