Bobcat Goldthwait’s new movie is a burlesque that turns into a harangue that turns into a rampage. Joel Murray, looking like an office-drone Brian Wilson, plays a divorced dad snowed under by the derisiveness of American culture. He murders a reality TV star, then teams up with a misanthropic brat (Tara Lynne Barr), and the two go on a killing spree. Most of the film consists of them listing all the stuff they hate (NASCAR fans! American Idol! Folks who misuse the word literally!). It’s like Falling Down remade by MAD magazine. (Also available on VOD) C
GOD BLESS AMERICA Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr
Genre: Drama; Director: Bobcat Goldthwait; Release Date Limited: 05/11/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 104; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 15 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Composer John Williams scores AFI Life Achievement Award
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' debuts with scary good ratings
- Bruno Mars teams with 'Empire' producer for NBC family comedy
- See the trailer for Janis Joplin documentary 'Janis: Little Girl Blue'
- Ellen DeGeneres coordinates Jessie J duet with viral video cohort, and it's perfect
- 'Doctor Who' spin-off 'Class' boss Patrick Ness aims to 'shock you with something new'
- Academy announces 81 contenders for foreign-language Oscar