Nadine Labaki’s strange drama is set in a remote Lebanese mountain village, where the Christians and Muslims share an existence so fractious it would be stretching things to call them a community. The story, while structured as a tragedy, masquerades in wisps of farce, as the women devise schemes — fake miracles, pastry laced with hash — to keep their men from entering into a religious war. But the movie gets mired in these deceptive mechanics. It shows no curiosity about the hatred, so the characters seem less than whole. C+
BATTLE OF THE SEXES Nadine Labaki as Amale in Where Do We Go Now? (Rudy Bou Chebel)
Director: Nadine Labaki; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Josh Charles joins Masters of Sex in major role
- Exclusive 'Finding Carter' trailer: Carter hooks up with ... Max?
- 'Mr. Sloane' creator talks about his Nick Frost sitcom and the future of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'
- U2 puts on surprise performance on New York subway platform
- Sex workers featured on A&E's '8 Minutes' say network failed to offer help, privacy
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' preview clip: Your verdict on the judges?
- 'Conan' is going to Comic-Con
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!