Getting cast alongside Sacha Baron Cohen in a major studio comedy is a big deal for any up-and-coming actor, but Jason Mantzoukas says he wasn’t shocked that he landed his breakout role of nuclear scientist Nadal in The Dictator. ”Looking the way I look, whenever anybody’s looking for a light brown funny guy, I get the call,” says the actor, 39. ”I’m 100 percent Greek, but I look like I could be Indian or Middle Eastern or Hispanic. If it’s ethnic, they’ll try and put me in it.” Mantzoukas — who’s best known as the homicidal (and, as it happens, Hispanic) Rafi on FX’s The League — also writes for and produces the Adult Swim series Childrens Hospital and cohosts the comedy podcast ”How Did This Get Made?” He began sharpening his improv chops in the late ’90s as a member of the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, but he owes a good deal of his performance in The Dictator to a postcollege stint studying music in North Africa, where he picked up a smattering of Arabic. ”There are little phrases I remember,” he says. ”I’m allergic to eggs, so I know how to ask, ‘Are there eggs in this?’ In the movie, I speak a mix of Arabic words, Greek words, and gibberish. But for an Arabic speaker, it’s going to sound like ‘Gibberish, gibberish, gibberish, eggs.”’
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Looking back on Carole King's 'Tapestry' 45 years later
- Civilians to pose as prisoners for new A&E docuseries '60 Days In'
- Cassie Clare sued for copyright infringement over Shadowhunter series
- 'The Flash' ratings jump to 14-month high for Earth-2 reveal
- 'OUAT' bosses reunite with Elizabeth Mitchell, Lail for 'Dead of Summer'
- How 'Vinyl' star Bobby Cannavale tormented the director of 'Ant-Man'
- Frank Grillo fights to protect a senator in 'The Purge: Election Year' trailer
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday