Two albums after their 2006 breakout Standing in the Way of Control, the once-scrappy trio are still trying on different post-fame hats, often in the same song. Do they want to be highbrow purveyors of danceable angst, or pensive chroniclers of punk anomie? It helps that they’ve still got Beth Ditto’s clarion voice and her bandmates’ jittery, White Stripes-ian riffs while they’re figuring it out — and that the album has bursts of riot-disco alchemy (like ”Move in the Right Direction”). But without a clear purpose, most of A Joyful Noise blends into a fog of wandering melodies and come-and-go beats that sound ambivalent about even wanting your attention. B-
A Joyful NoiseTwo albums after their 2006 breakout Standing in the Way of Control, the once-scrappy trio are still trying on different post-fame hats, often in...A Joyful NoiseRockTwo albums after their 2006 breakout Standing in the Way of Control, the once-scrappy trio are still trying on different post-fame hats, often in...2012-05-18
MESSY GOSSIP 'Noise' proves to be is an inconsistent effort from the dance rock trio (Rankin)
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!