Morgan Spurlock’s oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps drawing conclusions in opposite directions. It celebrates the primal peacockery of mustaches and beards, yet also chortles at all the ways they can be vain and even inane. It tweaks the metrosexual lifestyle (the gels, the shaved chests, the eyebrow threadings) but also asks whether the obsessive relationship between men and how they look is a neurosis or, in fact, a noble update of an impulse as old as the caveman days. The movie includes a running meditation on manhood by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett; funny, incisive talking-head commentary from Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Judd Apatow; plus the usual cheeky Spurlockian graphics. B+
MANSOME Jason Bateman and Will Arnett
Genre: Documentary; Director: Morgan Spurlock; Release Date Limited: 05/18/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!