Morgan Spurlock’s oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps drawing conclusions in opposite directions. It celebrates the primal peacockery of mustaches and beards, yet also chortles at all the ways they can be vain and even inane. It tweaks the metrosexual lifestyle (the gels, the shaved chests, the eyebrow threadings) but also asks whether the obsessive relationship between men and how they look is a neurosis or, in fact, a noble update of an impulse as old as the caveman days. The movie includes a running meditation on manhood by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett; funny, incisive talking-head commentary from Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Judd Apatow; plus the usual cheeky Spurlockian graphics. B+
MANSOME Jason Bateman and Will Arnett
Genre: Documentary; Director: Morgan Spurlock; Release Date Limited: 05/18/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Elisabeth Moss to star in Hulu series The Handmaid's Tale
- WATCH: Reid Scott reveals who laughs the most on the set of 'Veep'
- What time is the White House Correspondents Dinner?
- Mario Lopez, Anderson Cooper: Who's replacing Michael Strahan?
- Larry Wilmore gets advice for White House Correspondents' Dinner
- What to Watch This Weekend: 'Veep' hooks up with John Slattery
- Teacher suspended for showing high school class 'Human Centipede 2'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch