Morgan Spurlock’s oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps drawing conclusions in opposite directions. It celebrates the primal peacockery of mustaches and beards, yet also chortles at all the ways they can be vain and even inane. It tweaks the metrosexual lifestyle (the gels, the shaved chests, the eyebrow threadings) but also asks whether the obsessive relationship between men and how they look is a neurosis or, in fact, a noble update of an impulse as old as the caveman days. The movie includes a running meditation on manhood by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett; funny, incisive talking-head commentary from Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Judd Apatow; plus the usual cheeky Spurlockian graphics. B+
MansomeMorgan Spurlock's oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps...MansomeDocumentaryPT84MPG-13Morgan Spurlock's oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps...2012-05-18
MANSOME Jason Bateman and Will Arnett
Genre: Documentary; Director: Morgan Spurlock; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Will Poulter cast as Pennywise in Cary Fukunaga's 'It'
- Jimmy Fallon and Blur sing 'Tender' and it's, well, tender
- Joss Whedon just quit Twitter again
- Barbara Crampton-starring horror movie 'We Are Still Here' to haunt cinemas June 5
- 'The Simpsons' renewed for two more seasons
- About that Green Bay Packers cameo in 'Pitch Perfect 2'...
- John Wick 2 is happening
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!