Morgan Spurlock’s oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps drawing conclusions in opposite directions. It celebrates the primal peacockery of mustaches and beards, yet also chortles at all the ways they can be vain and even inane. It tweaks the metrosexual lifestyle (the gels, the shaved chests, the eyebrow threadings) but also asks whether the obsessive relationship between men and how they look is a neurosis or, in fact, a noble update of an impulse as old as the caveman days. The movie includes a running meditation on manhood by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett; funny, incisive talking-head commentary from Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Judd Apatow; plus the usual cheeky Spurlockian graphics. B+
MANSOME Jason Bateman and Will Arnett
Genre: Documentary; Director: Morgan Spurlock; Release Date Limited: 05/18/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!