Morgan Spurlock’s oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps drawing conclusions in opposite directions. It celebrates the primal peacockery of mustaches and beards, yet also chortles at all the ways they can be vain and even inane. It tweaks the metrosexual lifestyle (the gels, the shaved chests, the eyebrow threadings) but also asks whether the obsessive relationship between men and how they look is a neurosis or, in fact, a noble update of an impulse as old as the caveman days. The movie includes a running meditation on manhood by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett; funny, incisive talking-head commentary from Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Judd Apatow; plus the usual cheeky Spurlockian graphics. B+
MANSOME Jason Bateman and Will Arnett
Genre: Documentary; Director: Morgan Spurlock; Release Date Limited: 05/18/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages