Morgan Spurlock’s oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps drawing conclusions in opposite directions. It celebrates the primal peacockery of mustaches and beards, yet also chortles at all the ways they can be vain and even inane. It tweaks the metrosexual lifestyle (the gels, the shaved chests, the eyebrow threadings) but also asks whether the obsessive relationship between men and how they look is a neurosis or, in fact, a noble update of an impulse as old as the caveman days. The movie includes a running meditation on manhood by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett; funny, incisive talking-head commentary from Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Judd Apatow; plus the usual cheeky Spurlockian graphics. B+
MansomeMorgan Spurlock's oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps...MansomeDocumentaryPT84MPG-13Morgan Spurlock's oddly titled but resonant new doc looks at the hairy ins and outs of male grooming. The best thing about the movie is that it keeps...2012-05-18
MANSOME Jason Bateman and Will Arnett
Genre: Documentary; Director: Morgan Spurlock; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron avoid explosions in 'Mad Max: Fury Road' teasers
- Tony-winning director Gene Saks dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Destiny's Child reunited at Stellar Gospel Music Awards
- Angelina Jolie visits the Kids Choice Awards
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!