After building up a catalog of cozy, weed-friendly albums most artists would be more than happy to rest on, the prolific Curren$y punches things up on his second effort of the year (yes, the year) — and it might be the crossover he’s been on the cusp of for months. Behold the burnished production and radio-friendly guest roster (Lil Wayne, Estelle, Wiz Khalifa, Wale) and marvel at the overdue collab with Pharrell Williams, who knows exactly how to soundtrack his host’s sleepy flow. But don’t get distracted by all that fancy; at its core, The Stoned Immaculate still has the hazy comfort-rap heart that made Curren$y an underground must in the first place. B+
FOREIGN CURREN$Y The underground hip-hop star gets help from Wiz Khalifa, Estelle, and Lil Wayne on his second album this year (Imeh Akpanudosen/Getty Images)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'
- Bon Iver played a surprise concert at Berlin hotel
- 'Empire': Listen to 'Infamous' by Mariah Carey, Jussie Smollett & cast
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' has found another villain
- Brad Pitt takes voluntary drug test for DCFS investigation
- 'Blindspot': Can Jane trust Roman?
- Rob Lowe took over our Instagram story to tour the 'Code Black' set