After building up a catalog of cozy, weed-friendly albums most artists would be more than happy to rest on, the prolific Curren$y punches things up on his second effort of the year (yes, the year) — and it might be the crossover he’s been on the cusp of for months. Behold the burnished production and radio-friendly guest roster (Lil Wayne, Estelle, Wiz Khalifa, Wale) and marvel at the overdue collab with Pharrell Williams, who knows exactly how to soundtrack his host’s sleepy flow. But don’t get distracted by all that fancy; at its core, The Stoned Immaculate still has the hazy comfort-rap heart that made Curren$y an underground must in the first place. B+
FOREIGN CURREN$Y The underground hip-hop star gets help from Wiz Khalifa, Estelle, and Lil Wayne on his second album this year (Imeh Akpanudosen/Getty Images)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hear 'The Hobbit' actor Richard Armitage read 'David Copperfield' -- exclusive
- Teresa Giudice to return to 'Real Housewives of New Jersey'
- Hear Rogue Wave's new single off their next album
- Martin Scorsese doesn't think people remember his films
- 'Grey's Anatomy' to reveal Jackson-April status in special flashback episode
- Victoria Aveyard on new 'Red Queen' book: 'I feel really happy and evil turning the story on its head'
- Beyoncé once turned down a Coldplay collaboration